Reflection on Friday's Talk by Nelson Ramírez de Arellano Conde

    I really enjoyed how Nelson began his talk with a historical overview of photography in Cuba which transitioned into how this sense of past informs his current work. I also was unaware of how much Cuban photography has shaped photography in general, which was cool insight. Perhaps the most inspiring part of this organization was visually witnessing the transition that Nelson mentioned from the beginning of photography towards contemporary photography; he noted how photography began with a purpose to document reality and that a second purpose has arisen which is to try and create art. This makes me reflect on the duality of life and art and how there is not much of a distinct boundary between the two which I think is a beautiful concept. The photo below by Jose A Figueroa, which was part of his Exile series, I think captures this sentiment well:

     Not only is this photo a historical document related to emigration, but it also is a work of art. The composition, with the hands (out of focus) framing the woman in focus who is in the distance is compelling and offers a sense of loss.
     I was compelled by the photo he took reshooting the first Cuban daguerreotype with the same type of camera originally used because it felt very caring. I love the concept of nostalgia and reflection on one's culture's past and not forgetting from where one's current state of affairs comes. I think that is central to Nelson's work, and I find it beautiful.  This is personally significant because a lot of my poetry revolves around a similar level of reflection--noticing how small places change over time. 
     I loved the concept behind his Hotel Habana series which also has the same reflective, temporal motivation. However, there was something about some of the photos that had a quality that felt too crafted and pushy, almost cliche with all the brand names. I would have preferred more of a subtle representation because I feel that would let the viewer do the work and seem more profound.
     Overall, I enjoyed his theme of space-time because I also like thinking about space and time in relation to my surroundings. I am inspired by his love of the past and how his documentation becomes art, which is a personal goal of mine for my art.


Comments

Popular Posts