Final Project Update


     For my final project update, I have an unfinished start to what is forming in to becoming a sneak-peak type thing for what I think would be a longer video. I switched over to using Premier from iMovie, which is way better, but I'm still learning the ropes. The video contains sections from only one poem, "Cherry Icon," because I think this poem is a good summary for my poetry in general. The video is still young in my mind, and I still need to work on it, fixing details here and there, so it's somewhat rough, but it gives a good sense of what I am kind of envisioning. The best part of the process has been just playing around with the footage I took pretty freely, fitting parts together here and there with more intuition than anything else. The video contains a lot of different thematic elements tied into one piece, which reflects the poem. "Cherry Icon" is a fast-paced expansive poem based on setting, and so I wanted to make the video reflect that fast-paced, pieced-together nature. The poem contains multiple lists that fit together in a choppy, quick, but paced way. I wanted to kind of catch that in some moments of the video. It's been interesting trying to mimic some of my poetic devices in the the arena of a video, such as motif (in this video, I tried to make the idea of a flashlight recurring) and repetition (the foghorn). The hardest part is trying to make the video stay true to the imagery of the poem, or the imagery in my head when I read it. I've realized that imagery in one's head coming from a poem is way more fuzzy and abstract than a video's imagery (or at least for me). So it's sometimes awkward providing a solid shot for a line of poetry. However, I think the kinetics of video, like the pace, and certain lighting qualities can lend themselves to a poem's imagery. While it will never be perfect to the poem, I think certain choices I made in the flashlight shots, especially when they're speckled among other, sharper shots, start to get at this.

Comments

Popular Posts