My project, a film called EXODUS featuring original poetry

           
            I grew up in a family of artists who drew, illustrated, painted, sculpted, and practiced photography. My first love was, and always will be, drawing. I attended portrait art classes with my mother where I found a love not only for the technical rigor of portraiture but also the beauty of the human form, and especially the human face. Eventually, however, I found a media that has become a (relatively) new favorite, which is poetry. I find poetry to be powerful because each word or line offers the quality of an ultra-brushstroke of meaning and imagery, and the poetic toolbox is both visual (physically in space and in the mind) and audial, and so much more.
When I first heard Lana Del Rey, I felt like I found a soulmate, or at least a kindred spirit in terms of art, and in particular craft. I find her lyricism very poetic in its crafting: multi-layered, imagery-filled, etc (and a balance between accessible and opaque, a kind of mist). Her content and themes also inspire me (specifically in relation to nostalgia). In her films, such as Tropico (see link below), she delivers poetry with a natural smoothness I find refreshing compared to conventional, sterile delivery. I hope to harness inspiration from this delivery in my project.
Through Lana’s musical references, I came to love Walt Whitman, who I now claim as my all-time hero of art. His theme of the human body (please read “I Sing the Body Electric”, it’s amazing) I think attracts me due to my roots in portraiture. But also, his all-encompassing (from the level of landscape to a human feature, and his wide bandwidth of who and what in the world he discusses) as well as philosophical, reflective and cinematic nature hits home as well because I often reflect on my physical surroundings in a similar way. The trailer to the movie Tree of Life reminds me of his poetry and inspires me (see link below).
My poetry, however, seems to not wash over areas of whole states of the US, like Whitman’s. I grew up traveling to Door County where both my father and mother visited as children and which now holds a familial legacy. Specific locations, and in particular the beach our house is on, are personally significant in terms of my childhood (and current nostalgia), but also the micro-local nature and culture is a muse as well. My poetry is obsessed with this location and all it means to me, divulging in some sort of spirituality I have about it. My Instagram posts have been my first attempts to document this visually.






My poems are very audial by nature because I am obsessed with rhyme and rhythm, which I think lends itself to being heard. I also think their images may lend them to being “seen” in a film. I am constantly visualizing the poems in my head, and I sort of want to unleash them in a way. I plan on taking inspiration from them, and Lana and Whitman (and others), to make a film I want to call EXODUS.

Comments

Popular Posts